Over the weekend I enjoyed my first night away from my lil' man (it's been 3 years!). The following night I had my 8 year old nephew over for a sleepover. K and I have been eating gluten free for over a year and a half now but my nephew can be a bit picky when it comes to food and assumes that everything we eat is disgusting!
K and I like to eat pancakes on the weekend and I certainly wasn't feeling like making 2 sets (1 gluten free batch and 1 'normal'). Up to the challenge of making something delicious, healthy and super fun, I whipped up a batch of my favorite gluten free pancakes and went all out Rudolph style.
They were a hit! And you know what? Both boys won't stop asking me to make more! I can forsee many more reindeer pancakes leading up to Christmas. If you'd like to whip a batch up here's the secret recipe:
Gluten Free Rudolph Pancakes
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
2. Lightly oil a flat griddle pan. Heat griddle over medium-high heat. Pour batter, approximately 1/4 cup, onto griddle. Batter should "sizzle" when it hits the pan.
3. Cook for approximately 3 minutes. Flip pancakes when bubbles appear all over the surface of the pancake and begin to pop. The pancake should begin to look almost dry. Flip and cook another 1-1 1/2 minutes.
4. Serve with bacon antlers, whipped cream, blueberry eyes, and raspberry noses.